Friday, November 7, 2008

How Sierra Madre Voted

Click here for the complete breakdown of how Sierra Madre voted in Tuesday's election, but here are a few results that I thought people might be interested in...Sierra Madreans voted for President-elect Barack Obama over Senator John McCain by roughly a 3 to 2 margin, 3,053 to 2,185. Ralph Nader picked up 53 votes from our village, and Bob Barr, Alan Keyes and Cynthia McKinney also all got some support from Sierra Madre voters. Sierra Madreans went strongly against the state trend on Prop 8, voting 3,040 against taking the right to marry away from gays, vs. 2,256 Sierra Madreans voting to ban gay marriage. Alternative Energy Measure 7 was shot down by a nearly 3 to 1 margin in Sierra Madre, 3,772 to 1,283. Republican House Representative David Dreier edged out Democrat Russ Warner, 2,408 to 2,332. Libertarian Ted Brown may have been the difference, as he drew 291 Sierra Madre votes. Similarly, Libertarian Maureen Keedy drew 414 votes away from the leaders in the 59th Assembly seat race, where incumbent Anthony Adams was edged out (Sierra Madre votewise) 2,179 to 2,268 for D.E. Williamson. And while 74.5% of the general electorate voted to repair/improve PUSD schools, Sierra Madre wasn't quite so generous...voting 63% to 37% to approve Measure TT.

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure that I share in your assesment that the vote for Libertarian Ted Brown was the difference in the Dreier/Warner race. Rather I would tend to believe that Brown's vote came almost exclusively out of the hide of Dreier.

    Kind of a microcosm of the split in the national GOP if you think about it. The Libertarian leaning wing, typified by Ron Paul, represents viewpoints that were once espoused by the likes of Barry Goldwater. Dreier, on the other hand, is more of a Bush-style Republican. Someone who would vote to expand our national government, sucker us into unnecessary wars, and then when the money runs out borrow like there is no tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ed. Thanks for your comments. You've definitely put more thought into this than I did. My statement, in my mind, was really more conjecture based on math, then it was an assessment, as I was basing my statement that something MAY have happened strictly on the numbers. However, I appreciate your position, and can't say that I entirely disagree with it. I'm also not sure that I entirely agree with it, but that's really more because I'm not well enough informed on the issue to argue the point. Thanks again for your post, and I hope we'll hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete