Thursday, November 27, 2008

Stephanie's BACK!!!

I was talking with James MacPherson of PasadenaNow.com the other day, and he was talking about possibly doing a live webcast of the DooDah Parade, and we were discussing announcers. I suggested it would be great if he could get Stephanie Edwards to do it. James told me that she is back on the Channel 5 broadcast this year. I hadn't heard anything about it, but KTLA's website confirms it!! I was so ticked a couple years back when they sent Stephanie to the corn field a la Billy Mumy, making her sit outside in the rain. She was a good sport through it all, even though, in my opinion, she was being treated very poorly and had every right to be upset about it. Then, they made it worse by eliminating her entirely. Now, I admit, part of my problem is that I really have never liked Michaela Pereira, but the real issue for me is more that Stephanie is a really nice lady, and a Tournament of Roses icon. She never deserved the treatment she received, and I have to say, had I been treated that way, I would have a very difficult time returning. But perhaps this is another indication of what a nice lady Stephanie is. For her sake, I hope it is more an indication that KTLA got so many complaints that they not only brought her back, but gave her a private apology that included both lots of zeros and a dollar sign. Part of the reason I'm a Stephanie fan is that in 2003, she was the Celebrity Luncheon speaker at the Sierra Madre Woman's Club, and she was very entertaining, pleasant, and had time for everyone. In the photo, she's with several SMWC past presidents, including Mary Kay Gifford (partially cut off at left), Lucile Flanders, Lillias Eubanks, Edwards, and Phyllis Harris. While we were talking I asked her about something, I don't recall what, and this TV celebrity did something I would never expect someone in her position to do, she gave me her phone number so I could call her directly to discuss it. What star does that? Also, I really like the (groaner) jokes she tells. Anyway, I'm glad to see she's back. How about you?

2 comments:

  1. I've always seen KTLA as a metaphor for boredom at its most extreme. Between the seemingly endless gouts of aggressive advertising, mixed with the chirpy content-free prattle of its look-alike Barbie and Ken talking heads, it always struck me that if you spent valuable time watching this drivel you were living life about as poorly as is humanly possible.

    So am I glad she's back? Um, is it OK to wonder why anyone could possibly even care?

    ReplyDelete